Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Storybook Favorites

After looking through several unique storybooks from the list provided I was able to narrow it down to three different stories that I enjoyed reading. They are all written differently and their content comes from very different myths but each one was written very well and truly pulled me in as a reader and I hope you will enjoy them too...



Albert Bierstadt painting on Coeur d'Alene  
In The Seven Woods  is a story which caught my attention because it is influenced by Irish myth which I find particularly interesting. Normally I would not really care about a myth that focuses on testing young love but since it involved my favorite kind of mythological figure, the trickster, I knew I had to look into it further. I think this character type interests me the most because while I read I'm constantly searching for the key to breaking the spell/illusion that is hidden within the world that the trickster creates. I really appreciated some of the images that the author used to give the reader an image of the world the characters had been placed in. Overall I think this storybook did a fine job of giving the readers a good background to the tale and was formatted in a way that made it easy to follow along.
A bust of the poet Virgil
The second storybook I took interest in was Hell On Earth. When you initially visit the storybook page it is quite gripping because the first thing you notice in large letters is "Welcome To Hell". As soon as I read the brief paragraph on the homepage I had a feeling this story would be somewhat related to Dante's Inferno which I find fascinating. I really enjoyed how the story was written in a manner that felt like the author was speaking directly to you. Another reason why I felt drawn in to reading this storybook would probably be because it does a good job of using modern language to tell a story as old as Dante's Inferno in a way that gets the message across and is easy to follow. The author also does an excellent job of breaking down his thought process at the end of each section.
Peter Pan image found on Wikimedia
The third and final storybook that peaked my interest was Peter Pan: Revisited. Being a huge fan of the cartoon Disney version of Peter Pan growing up and then thoroughly enjoying Hook starring Robin Williams, I knew I would have to read this storybook and that I would be interested in the information it would provide. This author provides a very unique take on the classic Peter Pan story by elaborating on the perspective of Captain Hook. Reading through this storybook felt like I was reading through a novel which was really enjoyable. I like the interview style story-telling that goes on in addition to the theories about Neverland and Peter that are proposed by the author. For me, the introduction did a great job of pulling me into the story and made me want to read each of the following sections. In summary, this storybook could've been poorly written and I still would have wanted to read it but thankfully it was extremely well written and very intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment